Jake posted on Thursday, December 1st, 2011 | Blog, Tech | No Comments
As part of a Knight News Challenge invitation to write occasionally for the terrific MediaShift IdeaLab I’ve got a new blog post up: “Public Media Should Mind the Developer Gap“. This has been a frequent topic in conversations we have here at PRX and with our partners across public media, particularly as we’ve been building mobile apps and testing the limits of tech capacity at stations big and small.
Here are a few quotes, and you can find the full post here.
As public broadcasting goes through its own turbulent transition to a new Internet and mobile world, the technology talent gap is a risk that looms large. Yes, there are many other challenges: political and policy battles, business model pressures, cultural and structural obstacles, the need for strategic vision and leadership. And there are other recruitment needs across general management, content, fundraising. But the twin coins of the new digital realm are code and design, and with a few notable exceptions, public media is seriously lacking in both.
These days the competition for talent in media technology is fierce, from new ventures to mature enterprises. Public media should be the go-to place for aspiring and experienced technologists who believe in a public service mission, want to collaborate to build products, services and content for millions of people, and seek an alternative from the rapidly commercializing web. There should be natural alliances with open-source software communities, with leading nonprofit web giants Mozilla and Wikipedia, the growing number of web-based local news organizations, and the open/civic data movement.
To keep up with the latest from the PRX tech team make sure to check out the PRX Labs blog.
Subscribe via Email
- Status Rejected: You Should Create A Canary Build For Your iPhone App March 15, 2013
- iOS 6.0 Causes CDN Overages November 14, 2012
- Growing the Ranks of Female Devs September 6, 2012
- Why and How We Redesigned the Station Apps January 10, 2014
- The Moth App: The Art of Listening to Stories on Mobile October 18, 2013
- Best New Entertainment Apps. iTunes Says So. October 17, 2013
- Streaming | Features | Pitchfork April 16, 2014
- BAM | RadioLoveFest April 16, 2014
- (via 24/192 Music Downloads are Very Silly Indeed) April 15, 2014
- (via The Radio of the Future :: Museum of Imaginary Musical... April 14, 2014
- (via Why voice is the next big internet wave — Tech News and... April 7, 2014