Jake posted on Thursday, April 29th, 2010 | Blog | No Comments
I’ve been invited to participate in the FCC’s April 30 2010 workshop on “public and other noncommercial media in the digital era” (PDF agenda and panels/speakers here)
Here’s is my 5-minute talk for the panel on “New Platforms, Approaches and Structures” – still subject to some change in the moment – and I expect some Q & A to follow.
Thank you Ellen Goodman, Steve Waldman, and Chairman Genachowski, for inviting me to weigh in on these issues. I am a big believer in the need for public media in the digital era, and appreciate the Commission elevating this discussion at a time of great ferment in media and journalism.
So who needs public broadcasting in the age of YouTube?
“You” = public and “Tube” = broadcasting, right? Every day thousands of videos are posted to YouTube, reaching millions of people across every conceivable interest. Anyone can create, broadcast, and distribute. It’s open, democratic, participatory, exploding with free expression.
Should we declare victory and hand back the spectrum?
› Continue reading
Jake posted on Thursday, November 5th, 2009 | Blog, PRX in the News | No Comments
On Tuesday Ellen Goodman and I presented at the Berkman Center for Internet & Society at Harvard University as part of the Center’s weekly luncheon series.
The topic was “Public Media: from broadcast to broadband” and we managed to cover a lot of territory and start a good discussion in the 90 minutes or so we had at our disposal. Considering that there are not infrequent multi-day convenings and conferences on these issues it was quite an exercise to boil it down to some essentials.
Ellen is working with the Ford Foundation (of which PRX is a grantee) to help shape a research and policy agenda on public media, and PRX itself is in the thick of things as a player in the field effecting change through our services and projects.
The video is embedded here (downloadable and non-YouTube versions here), and below that I’ve posted the slides from the presentation.
Subscribe via Email
- Web Event Recap: Online Fundraising for Youth Radio Groups March 6, 2014
- Using Facebook Interest Lists March 3, 2014
- This Is Criminal February 27, 2014
- Status Rejected: You Should Create A Canary Build For Your iPhone App March 15, 2013
- iOS 6.0 Causes CDN Overages November 14, 2012
- Growing the Ranks of Female Devs September 6, 2012
- An error has occurred, which probably means the feed is down. Try again later.
- Why and How We Redesigned the Station Apps January 10, 2014
- The Moth App: The Art of Listening to Stories on Mobile October 18, 2013
- Best New Entertainment Apps. iTunes Says So. October 17, 2013
- (Matter demo day NYC via News | Matter.) March 5, 2014
- (via Podcast Thing) March 4, 2014
- Transom » A Brief History of Documentary Forms March 4, 2014
- (via Ira Glass Shows Us How To Get Those Ira Glass Abs | The... March 3, 2014
- (via New on public radio: An investigative reporting show - LA... March 3, 2014