In terms of measuring success, we know that not all metrics are equal – some metrics we measure over different periods of time while other metrics are episode specific. We also always monitor things that are less quantifiable like actions our listeners take, fan love, and also fan disappointment.
Here’s a look at some of the numbers we pay attention to:
- $620,412 raised through our Kickstarter campaign, (248% of the goal)
- 21,818 backers of the Kickstarter campaign
- 54% of the money raised through Kickstarter was in donations under $50
- Our aggregate monthly downloads in January 2014 (right before launch) were 936,928
- We added three new shows in January 2015 and topped 5,781,240 monthly downloads/streams. We also added a fourth show this month.
- The most significant growth for one of our shows was 545%
- There were $34,884 in donations outside of the Kickstarter campaign
- There were 29 unique sponsors supporting Radiotopia
- 150+ “best of” podcast articles mentioned Radiotopia shows
- We launched Radiotopia with 7 shows (now 11)
- 5 out of 11 Radiotopia shows are produced and hosted by women
- We are proud of our 14 hard-working PRX staff members (10 FT, 2 PT, 2 long term contracts), each of whom devotes some of their time to supporting Radiotopia.
- 100% of Radiotopia shows are owned by the producers
Numbers aside, we also pay attention to another metric…the love:
- “They transport me to another place.”
- “The only good thing to ever come out of Spotify ads is my discovery of @radiotopiafm”
- “They cover a wide scope of topics and ideas. I have enjoyed everyone one of them and look forward to listening to them all”
All feedback is welcome – we pay attention to the less-than-love too:
- “I hope this hideous trend in self-indulgent, precious cuteness runs its course soon so I can enjoy the great stories and information underneath all the silliness”
- “Oh my god what the fuck is Radiotopia, wait I don’t care”
At the end of the day, regardless of the love, the hate, the lists and the downloads, our mission is to bring great content to more and more listeners. Onward!