John posted on Monday, September 24th, 2012 | Blog, Global Story Project, PRX
PRX is excited to announce the Global Story Project. This is an open call for great audio.
We’re looking for really groundbreaking and gotta-keep-listening stories — long-form works, segment length pieces, and reversioned materials — about people and situations outside of the U.S. that will help American listeners better understand the rest of the world.
We’re not looking for ‘foreign reporting’ per se. In fact we have some cool projects underway that get to some of that necessary and timely stuff.
For the Global Story Project, we want story to drive the audio. And creativity.
Time is short and we have about $50,000 to work with. PRX has fueled a lot of projects over the years, helping struggling and talented producers make great work. One of these previous PRX funding efforts actually led to The Moth Radio Hour. We want to make a memorable and meaningful impact on listeners.
So, we’ll be taking your pitches online for only a few short weeks. The criteria (please read it!) and application form are here.
Then, some people you know and some you don’t will help PRX decide where to invest. We want all of the chosen works posted to PRX before the end of the year. We’ll award the funds based on the proposed budgets, the ambition of the projects, the application criteria, and the overall ability of the applicants to deliver the goods.
At a time of shrinking independent funds for radio and audio productions, the Global Story Project is a sign of hope. Thank the Open Society Foundations for its vision and dedication to risk and audio storytelling. We’re proud to be part of this.
Dream big; review your archives from that overseas reporting trip or the audio diary you might have kept in the Peace Corps; reach out to friends outside the U.S. and let them know. Let’s see what jewels the Global Story Project can unearth.
Managing Director, PRX
15 Comments to New funds for global stories
Leave a comment
Subscribe via Email
- Web Event Recap: Online Fundraising for Youth Radio Groups March 6, 2014
- Using Facebook Interest Lists March 3, 2014
- This Is Criminal February 27, 2014
- Status Rejected: You Should Create A Canary Build For Your iPhone App March 15, 2013
- iOS 6.0 Causes CDN Overages November 14, 2012
- Growing the Ranks of Female Devs September 6, 2012
- An error has occurred, which probably means the feed is down. Try again later.
- Why and How We Redesigned the Station Apps January 10, 2014
- The Moth App: The Art of Listening to Stories on Mobile October 18, 2013
- Best New Entertainment Apps. iTunes Says So. October 17, 2013
- (Matter demo day NYC via News | Matter.) March 5, 2014
- (via Podcast Thing) March 4, 2014
- Transom » A Brief History of Documentary Forms March 4, 2014
- (via Ira Glass Shows Us How To Get Those Ira Glass Abs | The... March 3, 2014
- (via New on public radio: An investigative reporting show - LA... March 3, 2014