Genevieve posted on Friday, June 29th, 2012 | Blog, PRX, PRX in the News
PRXers have dreamed of the day public radio producers’ audio would go viral. Yesterday it finally happened — listeners around the world have gone crazy for Two Little Girls Explain the Worst Haircut Ever from WNPR/Connecticut Public Radio reporter Jeff Cohen. Jeff interviews his two daughters about a sibling-haircut gone wrong. Take three minutes to listen. We’ll wait.
The piece is an audio equivalent of a cat video. It’s cute, short, funny — and people everywhere are listening (exposing independently produced public radio to many who probably don’t know what that is).
Each day we average 5,000 visitors to prx.org. Yesterday we had over 107,000.
Below is a screenshot of PRX pieces being listened to in real time (taken at 9:15 p.m. 6/28). Usually the left side has various pieces. Yesterday, it was all “Little Girls” and so many simultaneous listens it looks like a nuclear attack (click to see larger).
The takeaway for producers wanting to go viral:
- Use our embeddable players and share your pieces. Allow open streaming so that people can embed and listen to more than 30 seconds without logging in.
- Find something that will connect with people. Listeners love this piece because the storytellers are good and it makes them think of their own family mishaps (just read the comments on any of the sites).
- Short pieces matter on the web. Share your shorter pieces to get attention for your work, and to get stations interested in them and your longer ones for air.
- Fill out your contact info on your profile. Make it easy for blogs/news aggregators to get in touch with you.
Congrats, Jeff! And congrats to your daughters for the interview which has connected to people all over:
“I’ve just come home from a very tiring day teaching Secondary School students (UK) … this has cheered me up immensely.. I really can’t stop laughing… Thank you.” -comment on PRX
“This is the cutest thing I’ve ever heard.” -comment on HuffPo
“That was so funny. The girls are so articulate. Dad was smart to tape this conversation.”
-comment on Yahoo
Music to our pubradio-loving ears.
Friday, June 29, PRX got even more site visits than Thursday the 28th (above). The peak here is 263,556 site visits, up from 107,510 the day before (the dot to the left of the peak).
16 Comments to “Little Girls” Take Over the World
Leave a comment
Subscribe via Email
- an introduction to v4 August 18, 2014
- labs 2.0 August 6, 2014
- Become a Software Engineer at a Boston company with nice people and flexible hours. July 14, 2014
- Why and How We Redesigned the Station Apps January 10, 2014
- The Moth App: The Art of Listening to Stories on Mobile October 18, 2013
- Best New Entertainment Apps. iTunes Says So. October 17, 2013
- (via Pop Quiz: Before Public Media, I … | AIRmediaworks) August 29, 2014
- boobie-stabbie vs knowledge August 29, 2014
- (via Matter Applications are Open & Rolling! | Matter.)... August 28, 2014
- (via https://twitter.com/prx/status/505060059832139776/photo/1) August 28, 2014
- (via Wire Recorder Project) August 28, 2014