John posted on Friday, May 18th, 2012 | PRX
War on Drugs performing
The annual gathering is a mix of arguments and debates between the most progressive non-commercial music station programmers and industry reps. Throughout the conference, there are also some astounding music performances.
Where else can you see a music writer-pundit scream and yell with audience members about what constitutes a “hit,” which performers “matter,” or what the painful arc is of performers who fade from stardom and try to grasp the magic again. That happens here at NON-COMM and it is the unvarnished passion that fuels the creativity we see and hear at great public radio stations.
Powerhouse KUT is here…and little WMHT, too. WERS from Boston and WXXI in Rochester. How they work with performers and labels matters when it comes to finding and presenting new talent in an age of music blogs and digital distributors.
I’m here for PRX not just because we present Sound Opinions, American Routes and a ton of great other music programs. But I’m also here to pick up on the trends and issues that matter to stations trying to connect with listeners in an age where iTunes and Pandora dominate.
Then there is the music. Willie Nelson just ended his incredible set while Brandi Carlile warms up. Last night War on Drugs melted the speakers while JD McPherson had everyone swaying. Bottom line: AAA is a broad swatch of listening and WXPN and NON-COMM are at the cutting edge of delivering for public radio.
2 Comments to NON-COMM Nom Nom
Leave a comment
Subscribe via Email
- an introduction to v4 August 18, 2014
- labs 2.0 August 6, 2014
- Become a Software Engineer at a Boston company with nice people and flexible hours. July 14, 2014
- Why and How We Redesigned the Station Apps January 10, 2014
- The Moth App: The Art of Listening to Stories on Mobile October 18, 2013
- Best New Entertainment Apps. iTunes Says So. October 17, 2013
- (via Pop Quiz: Before Public Media, I … | AIRmediaworks) August 29, 2014
- boobie-stabbie vs knowledge August 29, 2014
- (via Matter Applications are Open & Rolling! | Matter.)... August 28, 2014
- (via https://twitter.com/prx/status/505060059832139776/photo/1) August 28, 2014
- (via Wire Recorder Project) August 28, 2014