Audrey posted on Monday, September 26th, 2011 | Introductions, PRX
Hello! My name is Audrey Mardavich and I am happy to say that I am the newest member of the PRX team. Most recently, I spent the past year in Austin, Texas as an AmeriCorps VISTA (Volunteer in Service to America) at the Capital Area Food Bank of Texas. At the Food Bank, I helped the Communications team collect stories for their “StoryBank,” which included written pieces, podcasts and videos of our clients and their experiences with food insecurity. Not only did I learn a lot of new technical skills doing this, but I learned many new ways to tell a story.
I studied English and Creative Writing at Suffolk University in Boston, and storytelling has always been something that has come naturally to me. When I interviewed the Food Bank clients, I realized how important it was for them to be able to share their story, and it became apparent how much was lost when a 20 minute conversation became a two paragraph blog post.
In came the podcasts and videos–now Clarice from Waco, and Robert from Marlin were able to share their own story in their own voice which not only made for a more compelling story, but a more democratic one.
I learned that the best stories are often the stories that are struggling to be heard. This is why I am excited to be a part of an organization dedicated to making the best stories available to listeners everywhere in new, exciting ways. I am so excited to help you get your story heard, help listeners use our site and applications to their fullest potential, and hear amazing stories along the way.
1 Comment to New Member Support and Administrative Associate
Leave a comment
Subscribe via Email
- Long-lost radio interview with David Foster Wallace, animated! April 23, 2013
- Sound Opinions remembers Roger Ebert April 4, 2013
- A Little Structure March 27, 2013
- Status Rejected: You Should Create A Canary Build For Your iPhone App March 15, 2013
- iOS 6.0 Causes CDN Overages November 14, 2012
- Growing the Ranks of Female Devs September 6, 2012
- An error has occurred, which probably means the feed is down. Try again later.
- One issue holding up Apple iRadio: The economics of skipping songs | Apple - CNET News May 21, 2013
- (via iOS default despair: Where Ars staff turns for better app... May 21, 2013
- (via New Yorker Creates Aaron Swartz’s Open Source... May 15, 2013
- (via 63. Roman Mars | Fast Company | Business Innovation) Go... May 13, 2013
- Transom » Story Workshop Spring 2013: Insights May 8, 2013