Emily posted on Thursday, March 17th, 2011 | Blog
We’re excited to announce that our CEO, Jake Shapiro, will be one of 11 new Ashoka News & Knowledge Fellows. Ashoka is a nonprofit organization promoting social entrepreneurship in what they call the “global citizen sector.” Jake will join over 100 News & Knowledge fellows, supported by Ashoka’s 3-year-long partnership with the John S. and James Knight Foundation.
From Ashoka’s recent press release:
Jake is democratizing public media by creating an open architecture and marketplace that invites new voices, surfaces compelling stories, and leads the transition from broadcasting to an interactive multiplatform future.
Other new News and Knowledge fellows include: Kara Andrade of HablaCentro, who is “expanding people’s access to information in remote areas of Guatemala, Honduras, and Costa Rica,” and Chiranuch Premchaiporn, who’s “online newspaper, Prachatai, engages tens of thousands of marginalized citizens and interest groups amid continuing government efforts to systemically control and disrupt information.”
Find out about all 11 new News & Knowledge fellows.
1 Comment to Jake Shapiro Receives Ashoka Fellowship
Leave a comment
Subscribe via Email
- Become a Software Engineer at a Boston company with nice people and flexible hours. July 14, 2014
- Status Rejected: You Should Create A Canary Build For Your iPhone App March 15, 2013
- iOS 6.0 Causes CDN Overages November 14, 2012
- Why and How We Redesigned the Station Apps January 10, 2014
- The Moth App: The Art of Listening to Stories on Mobile October 18, 2013
- Best New Entertainment Apps. iTunes Says So. October 17, 2013
- (via Rieder: Watchdog reporting for public radio) USAToday on... July 29, 2014
- (via The newsonomics of NPR One and the dream of personalized... July 28, 2014
- (via Why Apple may spend $30M to buy “Pandora of talk radio” app... July 28, 2014
- (via What’s the Most Important Element of a Good Story? -... July 25, 2014
- "It’s a hostage situation for people who don’t have... July 24, 2014