Roman Mars posted on Tuesday, January 25th, 2011 | shows
Please welcome the first (but not the last) podcast from The Guardian to REMIX Radio: Science Weekly. The program is an accessible and entertaining weekly look at what’s going on the world of science. It’s smart and surprising and I think it’s the best topical science program out there, so I’m thrilled we get to present it to you on the US airwaves.
Here’s the thing I love most about the show: For the Christmas holiday, Science Weekly producer Andy Duckworth went to the Large Hadron Collider at Cern and covered the strange and charming day to day life of the researchers at the facility, using humor and sound in a 20+ minute feature that is a great joy to listen to. A proper doc, through and through. Don’t take my word for it, listen:
So, I hear that episode, and I think, That was brilliant, they should let poor Andy get out of the production booth more often! More Andy! More roving reportage!
Then I hear the next episode, and it’s the always brilliant Alok Jha sitting in a studio in London and simply talking to smart people in Antarctica and the US over the phone and it’s awesome. A totally riveting half hour breezes by and I love every minute of it:
THEN I think, Get back to the studio Andy; you’ve got a job to do! Those interviews don’t just edit themselves!
The next week, a panel of science writers will discuss if the latest “monumental discovery” is all it seems, or if it really deserves those quotes, for irony’s sake.
I figure, if each week I’m convinced that the latest episode is the episode all future episodes should be modeled, then they must be doing something right.
Don’t trust me, just stay tuned.
1 Comment to The Guardian’s Science Weekly will make you love science (again and again)
Subscribe via Email
- an introduction to v4 August 18, 2014
- labs 2.0 August 6, 2014
- Become a Software Engineer at a Boston company with nice people and flexible hours. July 14, 2014
- Why and How We Redesigned the Station Apps January 10, 2014
- The Moth App: The Art of Listening to Stories on Mobile October 18, 2013
- Best New Entertainment Apps. iTunes Says So. October 17, 2013
- In Ferguson, Family Takes Turns Guarding Front Door : NPR August 19, 2014
- (via The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly of Adam Carolla’s... August 19, 2014
- (via JagBani) August 18, 2014
- (via Doc Searls Weblog · Fun with distance) Our friend Doc... August 18, 2014
- (via When Robots Write Songs - The Atlantic) August 18, 2014