Roman Mars posted on Tuesday, December 8th, 2009 | PRX Remix
This is what PRX is all about. Marjorie Leet Ford and David Litwin produced this radio piece featuring Raymond Carver in 1983. It is the only recording of Raymond Carver reading his signature story “What We Talk About When We Talk About Love.” I’m going to use all caps now to convey my emotional urgency: It is the ONLY RECORDING of the amazing RAYMOND CARVER reading WHAT WE TALK ABOUT WHEN WE TALK ABOUT LOVE and it was LEAST HEARD in 1983! I can’t all caps the date, so I’ll spell it out: NINETEEN-EIGHTY-THREE. Thanks to two fine producers who had the good sense to post this on PRX so we can all enjoy this gem again. You rule, guys!
The New York Times Book Review calls Carver “…surely the most influential writer of American short stories in the second half of the 20th century…” I call him “the best there ever was.”
It’s been uploaded to the PRX: Remix Radio stream on XM 136, so keep your ears open, but you can listen, rate and review the piece right now at PRX.
Full disclosure: One of my young, twin boys (Happy 3rd Birthday, Monkeys!) is named Carver.
1 Comment to What We Talk About When We Talk About Good Radio
Subscribe via Email
- Become a Software Engineer at a Boston company with nice people and flexible hours. July 14, 2014
- Status Rejected: You Should Create A Canary Build For Your iPhone App March 15, 2013
- iOS 6.0 Causes CDN Overages November 14, 2012
- Why and How We Redesigned the Station Apps January 10, 2014
- The Moth App: The Art of Listening to Stories on Mobile October 18, 2013
- Best New Entertainment Apps. iTunes Says So. October 17, 2013
- (via Our Nine Favorite Companies From The 500 Startups Demo Day... July 30, 2014
- (via Andrew Mason’s Audio Tour App Detour Steers You Away From... July 30, 2014
- (via Podcasting patent troll: We tried to drop lawsuit against... July 30, 2014
- (via College Radio Changes Frequency - WSJ) July 29, 2014
- (via Rieder: Watchdog reporting for public radio) USAToday on... July 29, 2014