Roman Mars posted on Tuesday, December 8th, 2009 | PRX Remix
This is what PRX is all about. Marjorie Leet Ford and David Litwin produced this radio piece featuring Raymond Carver in 1983. It is the only recording of Raymond Carver reading his signature story “What We Talk About When We Talk About Love.” I’m going to use all caps now to convey my emotional urgency: It is the ONLY RECORDING of the amazing RAYMOND CARVER reading WHAT WE TALK ABOUT WHEN WE TALK ABOUT LOVE and it was LEAST HEARD in 1983! I can’t all caps the date, so I’ll spell it out: NINETEEN-EIGHTY-THREE. Thanks to two fine producers who had the good sense to post this on PRX so we can all enjoy this gem again. You rule, guys!
The New York Times Book Review calls Carver “…surely the most influential writer of American short stories in the second half of the 20th century…” I call him “the best there ever was.”
It’s been uploaded to the PRX: Remix Radio stream on XM 136, so keep your ears open, but you can listen, rate and review the piece right now at PRX.
Full disclosure: One of my young, twin boys (Happy 3rd Birthday, Monkeys!) is named Carver.
1 Comment to What We Talk About When We Talk About Good Radio
Subscribe via Email
- Why and How We Redesigned the Station Apps January 10, 2014
- The Moth App: The Art of Listening to Stories on Mobile October 18, 2013
- Best New Entertainment Apps. iTunes Says So. October 17, 2013
- (via - Public Radio Exchange | Public Radio Exchange) On the PRX... September 2, 2014
- (via The tape deck you probably won’t be leaving for your... September 2, 2014
- (via Pop Quiz: Before Public Media, I … | AIRmediaworks) August 29, 2014
- boobie-stabbie vs knowledge August 29, 2014
- (via Matter Applications are Open & Rolling! | Matter.)... August 28, 2014