Jake posted on Monday, September 14th, 2009 | Blog
This is a big week for The Moth Radio Hour as the PRX crew decamps to Cleveland, OH for the annual Public Radio Program Directors (PRPD) conference. The PRPD is a touchstone event every year for PRX, it’s where we first debuted PRX.org back in September 2003 when it was just Steve Schultze and myself (with tons of help from SRG and Jay Allison/Atlantic Public Media) running the show and staffing the booth.
This year we’ll have over a dozen people in the entourage including The Moth staff and storytellers, gearing up for the main event this Wednesday night when The Moth takes the stage at the City Club for an exclusive evening for PRPD attendees.
The pilot series has been getting rave reviews from stations and listeners around the country, and has already been picked up by 170 stations – many of whom are starting to ask for more.
Here’s a sampling of the feedback, in a nice press release from Michigan Radio about taking the unusual step (for public radio at least) of running an encore performance of the series right out of the gate.
[UPDATE] Vermont chimes in with similar sentiments. Bring it on!
What’s next? We’re working with our partners The Moth and producer Jay Allison on the 2010 series, aiming at a minimum for “10 in 2010.” But if this level of response and demand continues we’ll just aim higher!
The Moth Radio Hour returns to Michigan Radio
ANN ARBOR–Due to overwhelming interest, Michigan Radio is presenting an encore performance of the special 5-part series The Moth Radio Hour, next week at 10 pm. This live storytelling show, which recently aired on Michigan Radio Saturdays throughout August, received an unprecedented response from listeners.
The Moth Radio Hour, based on the New York phenomenon The Moth, features true stories told live on stage without scripts, notes, props, or accompaniment. Each Moth Radio Hour mixes humorous, heartbreaking, and poignant tales…all told with honesty, bravery, and wit.
Michigan Radio listeners reacted to these engaging stories with comments like these:
“Wow! More, more, more!! I was so moved in many different ways by the stories I heard on your program yesterday.”
“Love, love, love The Moth! Can we have it all the time, not just through Labor Day?”
“The Moth Radio Hour is the best thing on Michigan Radio! It is refreshing, edgy, hip and full of substance. Please keep it up!”
“There was an episode of the Moth Radio Hour a few weeks back that included the story of a comedian who told the story of his appearances on the Tonight Show as his daughter was battling and died of cancer. What a story! It has stayed with me for weeks and I want others to hear it.”
Curious? Tune in to Michigan Radio at 10 pm Sept. 14-18 to hear what the buzz is about!
For more information on The Moth Radio Hour, which is produced by Atlantic Public Media and distributed by the Public Radio Exchange, visit www.prx.org/the-moth.
Michigan Radio is the state’s most listened-to public radio service,
attracting over 500,000 listeners each week across the southern half of
Michigan’s Lower Peninsula. Michigan Radio broadcasts at 91.7 FM in
southeastern Michigan, 91.1 FM in Flint, and 104.1 FM in western Michigan.
3 Comments to Michigan moved by The Moth
Leave a comment
Subscribe via Email
- Web Event Recap: Online Fundraising for Youth Radio Groups March 6, 2014
- Using Facebook Interest Lists March 3, 2014
- This Is Criminal February 27, 2014
- Status Rejected: You Should Create A Canary Build For Your iPhone App March 15, 2013
- iOS 6.0 Causes CDN Overages November 14, 2012
- Growing the Ranks of Female Devs September 6, 2012
- An error has occurred, which probably means the feed is down. Try again later.
- Why and How We Redesigned the Station Apps January 10, 2014
- The Moth App: The Art of Listening to Stories on Mobile October 18, 2013
- Best New Entertainment Apps. iTunes Says So. October 17, 2013
- (Matter demo day NYC via News | Matter.) March 5, 2014
- (via Podcast Thing) March 4, 2014
- Transom » A Brief History of Documentary Forms March 4, 2014
- (via Ira Glass Shows Us How To Get Those Ira Glass Abs | The... March 3, 2014
- (via New on public radio: An investigative reporting show - LA... March 3, 2014