It turns out that the more we do (i.e. rewriting prx.org, creating the next version of the Public Radio Tuner iPhone app, managing top notch podcasts, audio streams, and a satellite radio channel), the more help we need.
I know, I’m as surprised as you are; I thought we would just drink more coffee (or maybe stronger coffee?).
Instead, we’re looking to hire another full-time technologist to make PRX go whiz bang.
If you think PRX might be right for you, consult your physician, or just send a resume or CV to prxdeveloperjob AT prx DOT org. Not right for you? Maybe next time, but please pass this along.
Here’s the full job description:
You: Live on planet earth, are human, creative and a motivated developer.
Us: Super cool nonprofit public media company in Harvard Square. Yes – we said super cool AND public media.
Job posting: Web/Rails Application Developer
Location: Harvard Square – Cambridge, MA
Type of Position: Full-time with benefits
Start date: Immediately
Required Education, Experience and Skills
- BSCS (or equivalent experience) hands-on software engineering experience required.
- We’ll ask you for your opinion and expect you to have one.
- We’ll have you write code with the language that best matches the job.
- You’ll query and tune databases with millions of records.
- We’ve got great sysadmin support, but if you can build packages from source, all the better.
- Occasionally the phone will ring, you’ll pick it up and talk to our users in a calm and sensitive manner.
- Contribute ideas, suggestions, observations to operations and strategies as a whole.
You have the ability to pick up new technologies in days and weeks not months and years.
We are looking for an enthusiastic and creative engineer with a passion for building robust, scalable applications with simple, powerful interfaces, and who is comfortable working in a dynamic, changing environment.
You’ll work closely with our other developers and staff on all phases of the development cycle including planning, development, testing, deployment, and maintenance.
This position reports to the Technical Director, Andrew Kuklewicz.
Our development stack
We work with Ruby on Rails (ActiveMessaging, acts_as_solr), develop and drive the #2 application in the iTunes App Store (Public Radio Tuner), PHP (WordPress), and a smattering of Java running on dedicated and cloud hardware.
- Think internet start up but without annoying buzz words and we actually have a service our users love.
- We have high ceilings, large windows, bright walls and exposed wood beams, now mix in public radio and oh yeah a foosball table.
- We share office space with the Berkman Center for Internet & Society
- PRX received the 2008 MacArthur Award for Creative and Effective Institutions – the “genius” award for organizations
- There are three accomplished cellists in the office.
- We host cool parties like Information Superhighway 1..3
- Candidates with interest and experience in open source, audio engineering, social software, public media, and community sites are encouraged to apply.
To Apply for this Opportunity
Please email a resume and cover letter to prxdeveloperjob AT prx DOT org.
The Public Radio Exchange (PRX) is a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment, and the Web Application Developer will need to be adaptable, flexible and persistent, with the ability to manage multiple tasks and communicate with the team about timelines and development priorities. It requires a person who is able to successfully maintain a complex suite of web applications for high uptime and reliability. The position requires technical and organizational skills, a commitment to the vision and mission of the Public Radio Exchange, and an understanding of its dynamic role as an emerging service in the public media field.
PRX is an equal Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Salary based on experience.