Jake posted on Tuesday, January 15th, 2008 | Blog, Jobs, Press Releases
PRX Seeks Campaign Audio Curator for Public Media Election Collaboration 2008
[UPDATE FEB 1, 2008: These positions have now been filled]
Position is available now and we are prioritizing applicants who can start immediately.
NOTE: We are also hiring for a Social Media Curator position listed here.
Apply for this position online (but please read this description first):
What’s the story?
The Campaign Audio Curator will work with PRX as part of a CPB funded public media collaboration to find, select, annotate, and promote public radio and other audio material on Campaign ’08 and related issues. Selected works can include produced pieces, interviews, raw audio from campaign appearances, issue-based and local or regional stories that can be edited or excerpted for re-use by stations and other project partners. The initial collection is underway and located here: http://www.prx.org/articles/905
The collaboration as a whole seeks to pool the editorial and technical resources of a consortium of public media organizations, including NPR, PBS NewsHour, PRX, American Public Media, Public Radio International and other partners and local stations. The collaboration will encompass a variety of online and on-air projects aimed at increasing public engagement during the election year.
The Campaign Audio Curator position is project-based, starts immediately and runs through December 2008. It is expected to be a full-time commitment during the course of the contract. Fee is $40,000-55,000 depending on experience and start date.
What does the Curator do?
* assemble an authoritative, diverse, and well-organized collection of radio and audio works about Campaign ’08 and related issues, personalities, and events on national, regional and local level;
* develop and articulate criteria for content selection, metrics and benchmarks for project tracking;
* work with public radio stations, independent producers, national shows, networks, podcasters, and other sources to identify and upload audio works to the PRX Campaign ’08 collection;
* lead collaboration with other project partners and participating in the internal “Knowledge Network” for project coordination;
* maintain a public project blog chronicling the process;
* other tasks as assigned, coordinated with PRX staff and collaboration partners.
Who are we looking for?
* A political junkie with public radio experience, strong editorial judgment and an ability to manage lots of content.
* Some who can work quickly and competitively to lead and inspire stations and producers so that this collection has the most timely audio and the long-tail value of a curated archive.
* A keen observer of electoral politics, Campaign ’08, people, issues, institutions, and platforms across the political spectrum.
* An organized and open-minded individual who is ready to have some fun with this project but with an eye on the bigger picture.
* The project can be managed virtually but there is a preference for a Boston area curator in order to work closely with the Harvard Square-based PRX team in person.
What’s the point?
Public media has a unique opportunity to cover Campaign 2008 and elevate public engagement around critical issues at stake nationally and locally.
This project will help bubble up stories that otherwise might get lost in the shuffle, create an collection for timely use during the campaign season as well as a helpful archive for further evergreen and “long tail” opportunities in the future.
With the proliferation of audio on-air and online there’s a critical role to play in sifting, sorting, curating and promoting the best of what’s available. The PRX campaign collection will be a vital resource for stations, partners and the public.
No comments yet.
Leave a comment
Subscribe via Email
- Status Rejected: You Should Create A Canary Build For Your iPhone App March 15, 2013
- iOS 6.0 Causes CDN Overages November 14, 2012
- Growing the Ranks of Female Devs September 6, 2012
- Why and How We Redesigned the Station Apps January 10, 2014
- The Moth App: The Art of Listening to Stories on Mobile October 18, 2013
- Best New Entertainment Apps. iTunes Says So. October 17, 2013
- Streaming | Features | Pitchfork April 16, 2014
- BAM | RadioLoveFest April 16, 2014
- (via 24/192 Music Downloads are Very Silly Indeed) April 15, 2014
- (via The Radio of the Future :: Museum of Imaginary Musical... April 14, 2014
- (via Why voice is the next big internet wave — Tech News and... April 7, 2014